Monday, May 5, 2014

Pompadours for Jesus



There was a car show/rib cook off in downtown Marysville this week. Gillies and I went, and a member bought us a lot of food. I am here pictured with a '57 Bel Air Wagon, which is my new favorite car.

You will also notice, I got a somewhat less-conservative pompadour than last time. In fact, all four of us in Marysville Ward got one. (Mine looks the best.) We got them at this place called "Upper Cuts," which is basically the most gangster hair cut place in the world. The have a pool table and big TV's and speakers, they all have tatoos and piercings. They are good at what they do though.

A few weeks ago, some random guy pulled up to us and took a picture of me, then drove off. I finally figured out why this week. There is a kid in our ward named Dallin, and his friends asked him if he knew a kid named Tyler. "He rides around Marysville a lot on a bike. Like, almost everyday." Apparently some girls from Yuba High wanted to know about him. So Dallin's friend took a picture and showed him, asking if he knew "Tyler." Turns out, I'm "Tyler." No idea where they got the name from. Very strange. But funny.

The other missionaries in the ward challenged some high school kids to a game of basketball, which, if they won, would require the kids to go to church. But the Elders lost. I am pretty sure that the kids were praying to win, which is kind of ironic. 

We are moving apartments in a week or so. Same complex, different apartment. So my address will be the same, except we will be in apartment #72 after May 10th. So any mail to arrive that day or later should have apartment #72 on it. We are moving because our current apartment has been lived in by missionaries for six years now, and is basically trashed. I'm just hoping it doesn't get condemned when we move out. 

Crazy hobo story: We were sitting at the park and this guy comes up to us. Sounds like the beginning of a bad joke, and it really is. He asks what time it is, and we tell him. "Good, good. I still have time." He looked around shiftily. "I'm on my way to becoming famous. Really famous. World famous."

"Oh yeah?"

"Yeah. See, I'm a musical genius. You ever heard of Foreigner?"

"Yes."

"I'm better. Especially on the vocals."

"Uh, cool deal man."

"Yeah, I'm just on my way to Redding to meet up with the rest of the band. Gonna catch a Greyhound."

"Cool. Good luck."

He started walking away in the haphazard manner of a mad man. But then he looked back.

"But wait! I am also a military genius! They're looking at promoting me to Captain of the American Navy soon. Probably the smartest guy in the world. I'm a musical genius, and a military genius, and a business genius, and and top of all of that I AM A PROPHET OF THE MOST HIGH!!"

"Um, okay. Cool."

"JESUS IS COMING! SOON! SOOOON!" 

Very interesting things here in Marysville. 

- Elder Hyde

1 comment:

  1. One of our neighbors has a Bel' Air (copper color like the car in background on the right side). Those old cars are really fun.

    Your hair cut goes well with the 50's Fonzie on Happy Days.

    ReplyDelete